Friday, November 22, 2013

Top 10 Positive Outcomes of Going through Breast Cancer Treatment


After receiving my final infusion this week, I feel I can officially declare "I'm a breast cancer survivor"! My year long cancer journey has taught me many things, but most importantly it has reinforced the importance of positive thinking. When I first heard the words you have cancer, I knew I couldn't control my physical condition, but I could control my mental state. Half the battle of fighting cancer is  maintaining a healthy spirit and positive mindset. Despite facing many challenges in my life, I have always been a positive person and cancer wasn't going to take that away from me.

Fighting cancer is tough, I'm not trying to camouflage that. I endured surgery, lymphedema treatment, chemotherapy, radiation and year long infusions. But throughout my treatments I never complained, I recognized that I was lucky to have treatment options. Each experience, no matter how challenging, meant I was gaining more time to be a wife, mother and friend. There are many people who do not have treatment options.

A few weeks ago I was asked to be the survivor speaker for Carroll Hospital Center's Pink Fling event. During my speech, I shared my "Breast Cancer Top Ten", a list of positive outcomes to having breast cancer. I'm hoping by sharing my list it may help others facing a cancer diagnosis (not just breast cancer) see a positive side to the journey that lies ahead.

Top 10 Positive Outcomes of Going through Breast Cancer Treatment

10. Get ready quickly in the morning

Thanks to hair loss from chemo you save so much time: no need to shave your legs, shampoo, condition or style your hair. Just wash your body and go! Another bonus- you save money on haircare products and salon appointments.

9. Forces you to slow down and take time for yourself

Like most moms, it was not in my nature to sit down and rest. Infusions force you to slow down, relax and take time to catch up on tv shows, books and movies.

8. Develop a new appreciation for food

Many chemo patients experience a change or loss of taste. Between each infusion I had exactly two days when my taste would return, and on those days I ate slower and savored each delicious bite! Another benefit: once you begin to taste again, you eat healthier and take time to examine what you are putting in your body.

7. Increases your creativity

When you lose your hair, eyebrows and eyelashes, you became really good at creating illusions.  Pinterest is a really good place to discover make up tricks and unique hair coverings for cancer patients. I also had fun with tying scarves in different ways to cover my port during the summer months.

6. Opportunity to experiment with a different look


Have fun with wigs and hats and don't be afraid to try something new. Rather than sticking with my blonde hair, I opted to go with a brunette wig (my natural hair color). Your skin color and texture will change, treat yourself to new make up and take advantage of the Look Good Feel Better program for free beauty items and advice.

5. Receive random acts of kindness

Cancer can provide you with a real sense of community. Your friends and family will want to do something to help...let them! Now is not the time to worry about maintaining control of every aspect of your life (this took me a while to realize). This may include meal preparation, running errands, or house cleaning.  Additionally, many companies offer special promotions for cancer patients. For example, Brick Bodies provided me with a free membership while I was undergoing  treatment. Be sure to ask your nurse navigator about offerings in your community.

4. You will never need to buy anything pink again!

As soon as you are diagnosed with breast cancer, you will begin to accumulate pink items from family and friends. As the title of my blog suggests, pink was not my color. In fact, at the time of my diagnosis I didn't own a single pink item! Now, I 'm sporting pink ribbons, shirts, purses and pins to raise awareness. I'm proud to be a survivor and advocate for breast cancer.

3. Strengthens relationship with caregiver

Throughout all the treatments, appointments and daily stress, your relationship with your caregiver will become stronger. My spouse, my caregiver, is my rock. I have a new appreciation for him and his unconditional love for me. Be sure to take time to thank your caregiver, they are an unsung hero!

2. Reasons to celebrate

Being alive is a blessing. Cancer helps you prioritize what's important in your life. I laugh more now, enjoy simple moments with my kids, and appreciate normal every day moments.

1. Creates new opportunities

It's been said the Chinese symbol for crisis is a symbol that also suggests opportunity. Your cancer journey will lead you to new beginnings, friendships and milestones. Cancer has introduced me to amazing people, both survivors and caregivers, who provide me with hope and inspiration each day. This experience has also been the motivation for me to speak in public and begin this blog. Unexpectedly, cancer has enabled me to touch many lives and I am thankful for each moment.



1 comment:

  1. Although never having had a challenge like this to face, these 10 Positive Outcomes can/should be applied everyday to our daily lives: appreciation, love and the enjoyment of life. Positive Outcomes can be utilized to all of life's challenges. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and wisdom; you've laid a path for us all to follow. With love and friendship, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete